University of Iowa College of Pharmacy
The doctor of Pharmacy program includes two years pre-pharmacy study followed by four years of pharmacy studies at the University of Iowa.
College of Pharmacy Admission Requirements
You are advised to transfer to the University of Iowa prior to completing an Associate of Art’s degree.
To apply to the College of Pharmacy you must:
A minimum GPA of 2.5 is required for admission.
All prerequisite coursework must be completed with C or higher grade by the January 1 application deadline.
A personal interview is required.
Upon admission you will be asked to pay an acceptance fee and undergo a criminal background check prior to contact with patients.
Since Hawkeye does not offer Organic Chemistry, students transferring to the University of Iowa directly from Hawkeye will need to meet admission requirements for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences if they have not completed the Organic Chemistry sequence at another college or university.
This means that you may need two semesters of a Foreign Language to be admitted, where the College of Pharmacy does not require Foreign Language.
Core Courses for Pre-Pharmacy
Biology Sequence Notes
You must complete both BIO112 and BIO113 at Hawkeye to receive credit for 2:10 Principles of Biology I and 2:11 Principles of Biology II at the University of Iowa.
While this Biology sequence has been approved to satisfy 2:10 Principles of Biology I and 2:11 Principles of Biology II at the University of Iowa for all pre-professional and related science programs, those choosing to major specifically in Biology at the University of Iowa will need to meet individually with the Department advisor to determine preparation before advancing to higher level Biology courses.
Math and Science Sequence Notes
If you start a math or science sequence it is strongly recommended to complete the sequence at the same college. Whenever possible, math and science sequences should not be split between two different colleges.
If you need to complete preparatory work in mathematics, you may want to complete extra electives at Hawkeye due to the transfer of lower level Algebra classes.
You will not receive credit for MAT102 Intermediate Algebra or MAT122 College Algebra towards graduation requirements at the University of Iowa.
The Doctor of Pharmacy program requires satisfactory completion of 20 semester hours of general education electives for graduation.
At least 12 semester hours should be completed during the pre-professional curriculum.
You are strongly encouraged to complete all 20 semester hours of general education before entering the first pharmacy year.
General Education electives may include most transferable courses with the exception of:
- applied coursework (i.e. studio art, music or P.E.), and
- coursework used to build up to the math/science prerequisites listed as Core Courses for Pre-Pharmacy above.
Courses in humanities and social sciences are good choices to complete the general education electives graduation requirement for the University of Iowa.
Hawkeye courses that apply towards the College of Pharmacy General Education requirements
- ART101 Art Appreciation
- BCA201 Introduction to Info Sys
- BIO150 Fundamentals of Nutrition
- BIO151 Nutrition
- BUS102 Introduction to Business
- BUS180 Business Ethics
- BUS183 Business Law
- BUS210 Business Statistics
- BUS230 Quantitative Methods
- CIS142 Computer Science
- CIS153 Data Structures
- CLS130 African Cultures
- CLS141 Mid. East. History & Culture
- CLS150 Latin Am History & Culture
- CLS160 East Asian Cultures
- CLS169 The Pacific Century
- CNS121 Environmental Conservation
- COM148 Diversity and the Media
- COM155 Newspaper Production
- CRJ200 Introduction to Criminology
- CRJ201 Juvenile Delinquency
- DRA107 Theatrical Arts and Society
- DRA112 American Film
- ECN110 Introduction to Economics
- ECN120 Principles of Macro
- EDU216 Introduction to Teaching
- EDU240 Educational Psychology
- ENG221 Creative Writing
- ENV115 Environmental Science
- ENV116 Environmental Science Lab
- FLF145 French I
- FLF245 French II
- FLS128 Conversational Spanish
- FLS151 Elementary Spanish I
- FLS152Elementary Spanish II
- GEO115 Human Geography
- GEO121 World Regional Geography
- HIS117 Western Civilization I
- HIS118 Western Civilization II
- HIS119 Western Civilization III
- HIS151 US History to 1877
- HIS152 US History Since 1877
- HIS155 American Civilization
- LIT101 Introduction to Literature
- LIT133 Minority Voices in US Lit
- LIT142 Major British Writers
- LIT189 Women and Literature
- MGT101 Principles of Management
- MIL103 Military Survival Skills
- MUS100 Music Appreciation
- PHI101 Introduction to Philosophy
- PHI105 Introduction to Ethics
- PHS142 Principles of Astronomy
- POL121 International Relations
- POL125 Comparative Govt. & Pol.
- PSY111 Introduction to Psychology
- PSY121 Developmental Psychology
- PSY241 Abnormal Psychology or
- PSY251 Social Psychology
- PSY261 Human Sexuality
- PSY262 Psychology of Gender
- REL101 Survey of World Religions
- SOC110 Introduction to Sociology or
- SOC115 Social Problems
- SOC120 Marriage and Family
- SOC135 Death and Dying
- Introduction to Social Work
- SOC205 Diversity in America
- SOC208 Cultural Anthropology or
- SOC220 Sociology of Aging
- SDV131 Career Exploration
- SDV151 Leader Training & Skill Dev
- SPC122 Interpersonal Comm
- SPC132 Group Communication
- SPC140 Oral Interpretation
- WST101 Women’s Studies
Waverly Center Closed—Sept 23
Hawkeye's Waverly Center is closed today, Firday, September 23.
Hawkeye Center 208