UNI Teacher Education Program
Teacher Education Program majors:
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Middle Level Dual Major
- Secondary Education
- Minor in Special Education
- Physical Education
- Health Education
The following requirements are subject to change without notice. Please work with an advisor at UNI and Hawkeye for verification of courses.
To be admitted to the Teacher Education Program and to begin level two classes at UNI, you must meet the following requirements:
Complete at least 24 semester hours with a cumulative GPA 2.5 minimum.
- Satisfactory completion of the following equivalencies:
- Completion of the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST—PRAXIS I).
Test scores need to be submitted before admission can be processed, so make sure to take the test early in your second year at Hawkeye.
You must earn a minimum total of 522 points, with no individual test score less than 170 (reading, math, writing).
You will be required to retake deficient tests or any test/s that keep you from reaching the total of 522.
You can take the PRAXIS I (PPST) test at UNI or another testing center and have your score report sent to UNI.
Completion of the Application for Admission to Teacher Education form.
Declare a teaching major via the Declaration of Curriculum Form.
- All students will be subject to a background check prior to the issuance of their teaching license.
Minor offenses can delay licensure. Major offenses can prohibit licensure.
It is important to be truthful about this information on your UNI application because omissions or false information can be grounds for denial of licensure from the state of Iowa.
Check with the State of Iowa Department of Education for further questions.
DCI Criminal History Background Check for all field experiences.
UNI Teacher Education Program Notes
It typically takes four and a half to five years to complete the teach education program.
Students wishing to complete a degree for Secondary Education will also need to be admitted to the specific department and take the necessary classes for the major/subject they plan to teach.
If you would like to coach, you can also complete the coaching endorsement courses through Hawkeye.
Prior to getting your teaching license, you will have to take Praxis II (covers both Pedagogy and Content). You must score above the 25th percentile to receive licensure.
Students should not take Field Experience one while still in high school.
Suggested Sequence Of Study and Equivalent Courses
The following courses should be included in the Liberal Arts - Associate of Arts degree and completed with C- or better. See the Liberal Arts - AA Degree – Education K-12 Emphasis program for more information.
* These courses will count as electives towards the degree and are highly recommended for education students as they provide a strong foundation for the curriculum in their major.
** Successfully completing PSY121 Developmental Psychology will exempt you from taking EDPSYCH2030 (200:030) at UNI.
*** It is not recommended to take this course at the same time as EDU920 Field Experience.
UNI Liberal Arts Core
Students completing Hawkeye's Associate of Arts degree following the specifications of Hawkeye and meeting all conditions of Hawkeye's articulation agreement with UNI, will meet UNI's Liberal Arts Core requirements with the following exceptions:
Capstone must be completed at UNI after transfer.
- A course in Non-Western Cultures must be completed either at Hawkeye or at UNI. Hawkeye offers the following Non-Western Cultures courses:
- CLS130 African Cultures
- CLS141 Mid Eastern History and Culture
- CLS150 Latin American History and Culture
- CLS160 East Asian History and Culture
- CLS164 Japanese History and Culture
- CLS172 Russian Civilization
- HIS214 Russian History and Culture (This course does not fulfill the AA degree humanities requirement)
Foreign Language Requirement (for students graduating from high school or earning a high school equivalency diploma in 1989 and later).
Hawkeye offers the following Foreign Language courses that fulfill this requirement:
- FLS151 Spanish I AND
- FLS152 Spanish II