By: Dr. Linda Allen, President
Date Published: Monday, August 22, 2016
As President of Hawkeye Community College, I am thrilled to have you enrolled as a student at Hawkeye this fall! We have a lot of activities coming up during the first weeks of classes to help you meet other students and get acclimated to college life.
Whether you’re taking a full load of classes or just one or two classes, we want you to succeed and we have support services when and where you need them. We are truly committed to helping each and every student succeed. Our Student Services office is ready to serve students with Evaluation and Testing, Academic Advising, Orientation, Special Needs/Disability Services, Career Services, Veterans and Military Services, International Students, Study Abroad, and more. All students also have access to our state-of-the-art wellness center and our Student Health Clinic. Look for representatives of these various areas at the Fall Fest on August 24!
Here are some events that are planned during the first week of classes that you’ll want to check out:
- FREE FOOD! There will be a FREE French Toast breakfast for all students tomorrow morning (Tuesday, August 23) in the Brock Student Center. We’ll begin serving at 7:00am so you can get energized for your first day of classes!
- Tuesday, August 23 – First home game of the Hawkeye RedTails Men’s soccer team. This will be held at 4:00pm at the Cedar Valley Soccer Complex (3238 DeWitt Road, Waterloo). This is the first home game for the new Hawkeye RedTails Soccer program. All fans who come to cheer the team on will be entered into a drawing for Hawkeye RedTails athletic gear at halftime. Two students will also be selected to compete in a halftime soccer shootout, with the winner receiving $250 toward textbooks from the Hawkeye Bookstore. Free food will be available for the first 200 attendees. Admission is free!
- More Free Food! On Wednesday, August 24, our annual Fall Fest will take place in the center courtyard on main campus. You can learn about Hawkeye’s clubs, organizations, and various departments, meet new friends, and best of all – enjoy FREE FOOD and Scratch Cupcakes!
- Thursday, August 25 – Come to the Brock Student Center in the middle of main campus for Grocery Bingo at 12:00noon! Meet new friends and have a chance to win free groceries!
- Thursday, August 25 – Come to the Health Education and Services Center (HESC) for Rock the Rec w/Bubble Soccer! There will be an open house at the HESC from 3:00-6:00pm to meet the staff, try out group fitness classes, or sign up for intramurals. The bubble soccer fun will kick off at 3:00 at the outdoor track.
Make sure you check out Student Activities' Calendar of Events on our website regularly where you can get more information about these and other upcoming events!
Again, WELCOME to Hawkeye Community College. We are glad you are here and along with our faculty and staff, we will do everything we can to make your educational experience a positive one.