Entrance Loan Counseling

If you intend to borrow a Federal Stafford Loan while attending Hawkeye, you will need to complete each of the following:

  1. an Entrance Loan Counseling session,
  2. a Master Promissory Note (MPN), and
  3. a Student Loan Game Plan.

You do not have to complete these requirements if you do not plan to borrow a federal loan.

Parents assuming a Federal Stafford Parent PLUS Loan to pay for their child's education are not required to complete Entrance Loan Counseling; however are required to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN).

If you have previously completed Entrance Loan Counseling at another school, you are still required to complete the Entrance Loan Counseling for Hawkeye Community College.

Completing Your Entrance Loan Session

Entrance Loan Counseling must be completed before your first disbursement of your Subsidized/Unsubsidized Federal Loans.

During the Entrance Loan Counseling session you will learn about:

  • Federal Stafford Loan
  • your rights and responsibilities as a borrower
  • managing educational expenses
  • other financial resources to consider that may help pay for your education

To start your Entrance Loan Counseling session:

  1. Go to

  2. Click on the green "Sign In" button.

  3. To sign in, you will need your social security number and your FSA ID.

  4. Be sure to list Hawkeye.

Allow 20-30 minutes to complete the Entrance Loan Counseling session.

Completed Entrance Counseling data is submitted to The Department of Education for processing and then an Entrance Counseling Acknowledgement is sent to Hawkeye Community College.

Financial Aid Handbook | Next Page >

Financial Aid

Hawkeye Center 118
800-670-4769 ext.4020
319-296-4495 (fax)
Email us
Send a chat message

Text 66746 and start your question with hawkeyeaid
More info on this service

Regular Hours

Mon-Fri 8:00am–4:30pm

Federal Student Aid
Federal Student Aid You Tube Federal Student Aid Facebook Federal Student Aid Twitter Federal Student Aid Website